ESXi 4.0 - the free version of ESX is available since several days from VMware Website.
With the recent release of vSphere, all the VMware products are getting updated as well. VMware ESXi 4.0 is certified to run on a broad range of 64-bit hardware. Make sure that your hardware you intend to use it is on the Hardware Compatibility List. If you are using 32-bit hardware, you can still download the previous version, VMware ESXi 3.5.
I just came from 3 weeks vacation and I see that I have quite a lot of downloads to do at first to catch up. Not talking about learning all those new products too…. -:)
Make sure you update your VMware vCenter Converter Standalone 4.1 as well. (103 Mb download). There are quite a few enhancements in this release.
- of Course there is support for vSphere 4.0 as source and destination targets.
- Support for configuring target disks as thin provisioned disks.
- Support creation of IDE disks on vSphere 4.0
- Support for backup products to restore vSphere 4.0 virtual machines backed up using VCB
- Support for creation of virtual hardware version 7.0 virtual machines on vSphere 4.0. targets as well as migration of hardware version 7.0 virtual machines from Workstation and Server platforms to vSphere 4.0
- Support for importing OVF 1.0 single virtual machine images.
- Support for customization of Windows Server 2008 guests.