One of the new features in vSphere is VMware's Data Recovery, included in the “Essentials Plus” solution bundle or the vSphere Advanced edition. It is provisioned as a virtual machine within your vSphere environment and integrates with the vCenter server to give you fully centralized management of your backups.
Data Recovery greatly improves on the original “VMware Consolidated Backup” by offering a full GUI management interface with various wizards to aid the setup and management of all your backup/restore jobs.
- Full and incremental backups of Virtual Machine images, and file level backup/restore for Windows VMs.
- VSS support for Windows VMs for more reliable backups
- Data de-duplication to reduce storage requirements for backups
- vCenter based management console for centralized GUI management and intuitive wizards to simplify operations
- Disk based storage using the standard range of connection protocols – iSCSI, FC, NAS or local host storage
- Fully vSphere integrated and aware so will continue to backup VMs when they are moved to a different host
--> The rest is on :