You probably heard that Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 has been Released To Manufacturing (RTM) last week.
That means that the OEMs will soon deliver a new generation of Windows-based NAS appliances with a file server (SMB2, NFS) and an iSCSI Target (using the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target 3.3).
What you might have missed is that Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 is also now available to MSDN and TechNet subscribers for evaluation. This means subscribers can now use the Microsoft iSCSI Target 3.3 for Development, Test and all other non-production purposes.
While this was also the case for Windows Storage Server 2008, this new R2 release allows you to install the iSCSI Target on any existing Windows Server 2008 R2 by simply installing an MSI (Microsoft Installer) file. That’s much more convenient for Developers, Testers and IT Profressionals out there.
Here are a few things you could do with the Microsoft iSCSI Software Target:
- Setup a test environment for Hyper-V (using Windows Server 2008 or Windows Server 2008 R2) using iSCSI shared storage.
- On a single laptop (with enough resources) create a development environment running a SQL Server cluster (two nodes, plus shared storage).
- Evaluate Windows Server 2008 R2 Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV) and Hyper-V Live Migration, using only regular Windows Server hardware.
You are probably thinking of a few other ways to use this. If they are for evaluation (TechNet Plus or MSDN), demonstration (MSDN), development (MSDN) or test (MSDN), they are probably good scenarios as well.
Find below the information from the MSDN/TechNet site where you download the bits:
- Name: Windows Storage Server 2008 R2 Embedded (Standard, Enterprise, Workgroup) with iSCSI Software Target 3.3 (x64) - DVD
- Size: 947 (MB)
- File Name: mu_windows_storage_server_2008_r2_embed_stand_ent_work_with_iscsi_software_target_3.3 _x64_dvd_587719.iso
- Date Published (UTC): 9/27/2010 3:01:52 PM
- Last Updated (UTC): 9/27/2010 3:01:52 PM
- SHA1: CAC10773B6DD63FD397F5F00252B252CAF70EE40
- ISO/CRC: 0C19C89F
- Instructions and Resources: You must first install Windows Server 2008 R2 before installing this product. The license agreement for this product references a 180-day term. This download will retain full functionality even after 180 days. The following languages are included in this download: Chinese-Simplified, Chinese-Traditional, English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese-Brazil, Russian, and Spanish.
No keys are required for this download.