Today EMC’s Chad Sakac blogged about a significant update to Oracle’s support policy for VMware ESX environments – Oracle no longer explicitly excludes Oracle RAC from being virtualized. It should also be noted that Oracle’s support is limited to “issues that either are known to occur on the native OS, or can be demonstrated not to be as a result of running on VMware.” In other words, if it’s not a known bug, customers may be asked to reproduce problems on the bare metal.
Like Chad, this is an issue I have blogged about repeatedly over the last couple of years. For a historical perspective, you can read the following posts:
- Oracle Changes its Position on x86 Hypervisor Support (Unfair Licensing Remains) (May 2009)
- Oracle Honors its New Year’s Resolution: Non-Oracle x86 Hypervisors are Now Supported (May 2009)
- A New Year’s Resolution for Oracle (December 2008)
- Oracle and the Big Elephant (August 2008)
- --> The rest on the blog :