VMware has just released ESX Update 4. You can find the release notes here. I’ve picked a couple of bullets which I think are important, please read the release notes for the other improvements and known issues!
Newly supported features:
- PXE booting VMware ESX Server 3i version 3.5 Update 4 Installable is an experimental feature and is supported as such! (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008971 , http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1009034)
- LUN Queue depth throttling for 3PAR Arrays (http://kb.vmware.com/kb/1008113)
- Increasing the VMklinux module heap size:
esxcfg-advcfg -k <mbs> vmklinuxHeapMaxSizeMB
Newly supported Guest Operating Systems:
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (32-bit and 64-bit).
- SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (32-bit and 64-bit).
- Ubuntu 8.10 Desktop Edition and Server Edition (32-bit and 64-bit).
- Windows Preinstallation Environment 2.0 (32-bit and 64-bit).
Newly supported SAS/SATA controllers:
- PMC 8011 (for SAS and SATA drives)
- Intel ICH9
- Intel ICH10
- CERC 6/I SATA/SAS Integrated RAID Controller (for SAS and SATA drivers)
- HP Smart Array P700m Controller
Newly supported Storage Arrays:
- Sun StorageTek 2530 SAS Array
- Sun Storage 6580 Array
- Sun Storage 6780 Array
Expanded support for the Enhanced VMXNET driver :
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (32-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Standard Edition (64-bit)
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003, Web Edition
- Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003
- Microsoft Windows XP Professional (32-bit)