In case you are not using free Openfiler under Linux for your VMware ESX Server/vSphere 4 homelab (if you don’t like linux for example…) there is a solution for you. A company called StarWind is providing for free a Software allowing to create an iSCSI Target for your VMware Infrastructure (up to 2 Tb capcity !!!) and so to convert your existing Windows server to a SAN storage. With the Starwind free version you can converts any Windows server into a SAN in less than 10 minutes. This is a fully functional product at no cost.
What’s the details:
• Large 2 TB storage capacity
• Unlimited number of connections
• Virtualization environment support for VMware, Hyper-V, XenServer, Virtual Iron
• Enhances VMware environments by enabling VMotion, VMware HA, DRS and VCB
• Supports Windows server clustering for any application including SQL Server, Exchange, SharePoint